BLACK BEAN BEET BURGERS
Take vegetarian patties to a new level with these bright burgers that burst with beet flavor! Served on a warm bun and topped with an assortment of extras and condiments, these burgers are sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Makes 8-10 burgers
- 16 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup roasted cooled beets (about 1-2 small beets), peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups cooked rice, brown preferred
- 1/4 cup red or green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried chipotle pepper, soaked in water, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, raw
In a food processor, pulse the cooked black beans, maintaining some whole beans in the puree. Add beets and pulse then toss with rice in a large bowl. Add peppers, mustard, black pepper, and salt. Thoroughly mix. Then add parsley and oatmeal in the food processor and pulse until blended, then fold into beet mixture.
Scoop out 4-6oz. portions and form into smooth flat patties. Patties can be frozen for later use or cooked immediately by searing in a lightly oiled pan for about 3-5 minutes on each side. Serve on warm bun with condiments of choice.
*Bon Appétit kitchens generally use cooked dry beans.