Spice up your plant-forward barbecue options with these Cajun-style tofu burgers. Packed with plant protein, vegetables, and a lot of flavors – these burgers will impress your guests.
Makes 6 to 8 burgers.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, finely diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 16-oz package extra firm tofu, pressed to remove excess liquid
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce*
- 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 6-8 buns of choice
Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sauté vegetables until soft. While the vegetables are cooking, use a fork to mash the pressed tofu until it crumbles.
Mix tofu together with vegetables and add paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic pepper, black pepper, egg, Dijon mustard, barbecue sauce, and breadcrumbs. Allow the mixture to sit, refrigerated, for 2 hours or overnight.
Form mixture into 4-5-oz patties with hands. Brush with olive oil and sear on each side for 3-5 minutes on grill or in sauté pan until golden. Serve up with your favorite burger toppings.
*Try 2 tablespoons Sriracha and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in place of barbecue sauce for a Korean-style spin.