A little salty prosciutto goes a long way for delicious flavor in this classy side dish.
- 1-‐1/2 pounds whole Brussels sprouts (about 3
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 ounce prosciutto, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot lined with a metal steamer. While water is heating, clean and trim the stems from the Brussels sprouts. Steam sprouts for 3-‐5 minutes, until tender but not too soft, then drain and rinse with cold water.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil, shallots, and prosciutto in a large pan or skillet and sauté on medium-‐high until prosciutto is slightly crispy and shallots are softened, about 3-‐5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside, leaving the remaining oil in the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil. Halve Brussels sprouts lengthwise and add to pan, outer leaves up, and cook until caramelized, about 7-‐9 minutes. Flip and cook another 2-‐3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and toss with shallots and prosciutto mixture, sprinkle with black pepper, and drizzle with lemon.