Both the fennel fronds, which are delicious but often discarded, and the bulb are used in this recipe. The strong licorice flavor of fennel mellows with cooking.Serves 6 – 8
- About 3 – 4 fennel bulbs with fronds
- 1 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, diced
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a casserole pan.
- Cut off the fronds and stems of the fennel bulb. Dice 1 cup stems and fronds and reserve the remainder for other uses such as broths and soups. Quarter bulbs and cut into 1 – 2 inch slices. Discard woody core.
- Boil bulbs in broth for about 5 minutes, until tender. Drain and reserve broth for future uses. Toss with diced fronds, stems, and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Blend 1/2 cup Parmesan with thyme and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (optional). Mix this into the fennel. Add fennel to casserole dish and top with remaining Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
Drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover and bake for 20 – 30 minute. Increase oven temperature to 425 and bake another 10 minutes, until browned. May be garnished with fennel fronds.