- 2 slices of whole grain bread, toasted
- 1 ripe medium avocado, pitted
- 1/2 small lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, divided
- 2 pinches medium grind sea salt
- 1 can of sardines (3-4 ounces), packed in olive oil*
Scoop out avocado flesh into a small bowl. Add lemon juice, pepper, paprika, and salt and mash with a fork until combined. Set aside.
Drain can of sardines (reserving oil*) and divide into fillets.
In a small sauté pan, sauté sardines on medium heat, approximately 1-2 minutes per side.
Toast 2 slices of bread to desired crispiness. Assemble toast by topping each slice evenly with avocado mash and sardines.
To serve, top with a drizzle of reserved oil (optional), paprika, and lemon zest.
*Choose U.S. or Canada Pacific as they are considered the best choice by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch. Read more here. Oil can be used to drizzle toast or in other dishes such as pasta or sautéed vegetables.